Sunday, October 18, 2009

I used to work there

Cineplex Odeon, a movie theater I believe that originated in Canada. I worked there for about four years. My boss, worked there for twenty years. They had a location at Boise Towne Square. We called it Towne Square cinema. People would think it was located directly inside the mall when it was in the same parking lot. Nothing like New York where their theater is inside the Virgin record store.
It was fun when nobody was on my back. We had this arrogant assistant supervisor that yelled at people for pronouncing the name of the theater wrong. It's not "cineplex odeun" it is "cineplex ode'ON'". Potato potahto. Whatever.
Then came along Sony. They bought Cineplex Odeon and renamed it Loews Cineplex Entertainment. Try fitting that name on your resume. They took away all of the combo meals and left everyone with this one. It was really stupid. It was one large drink and one large soda.
When Edwards came along, it was the most ridiculous thing. The whole world got childish. People would come in and say, "It's cheaper at Edwards." They even had the brass to say pay phones were cheaper at Edwards when Loews didn't have anything to do with it. The prices weren't really cheaper. The theaters were a bigger. They are a very childish company. There was some kind of stipulation in the contract that another theater within two miles would not play the same movie. How can you compete with other companies when you hog movies? They also wanted to play tricks on the other theaters. There was a guy I used to work with named Tyler. We worked at the Reel Theater. At this time, he was the supervisor at Edwards. He would tell us that we could come and get a movie poster to use. Then when you fight traffic to get there, they got very arrogant. "No, we told you your theater could not have a poster." What children will do when the parents are not watching. As far as I understood, they were already going broke as soon as they opened.
Loews Cineplex got the idea to become a discount house. This means that the tickets were less. I think the prices were about $1 to $2. The concessions however, did not get low. There was a sign up there once saying if your date is cheap with the movie tickets go buy snacks and then it wouldn't be a cheap date anymore.
Nobody really knew why. Some of us joked that it was to put Edwards out of business. Apparently, there isn't much room for some humor. We got lectured on it.
It got to the point where I was working alone. I ran the ticket booth, snacks, and the door. There were students that worked there and they didn't get to work until after 3pm. I had to do all of the work so they could goof off when they came to work. The ticket booth was moved to the concession stand. Somebody else at Loews thought it was a good idea so the rest of them did it. Even the Reel thought it was a good idea as well.
I wasn't making enough money to do anything. I went to a staffing agency and they said I had to quit so I could get a new job that will pay me better. I told the supervisor at the time that I wasn't going to come in anymore. Guess what? It pissed him off because he was going to be the only one running the place.
I came in to drop off my bow tie and pick up my check. The asshole. who later worked at Office Depot as a grunt, told me that I was going to need to fill out paperwork and that I was fired. I told him, "Fired? I had already quit." I didn't fill out any paperwork either.
When I worked at Pizza Pipeline, I ran into another person I used to work with. She told me that Loews was going out of business. I think it was at least six months after I left them.
The Reel Theater had that theater. They also had The Egyptian. The Egyptian was Cineplax and Loews and then the owner turned it into some historical society.
I talk about them today because the theater is now dead. I was driving by and saw the theater being torn down. Town Square Cinema is no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment