Friday, June 18, 2010

Farmer Jen


I never grew up on a farm, despite what people in Boise think. It's a fact, people think that I know how to farm and raise barn animals. When I was going to Borah, people referred to me as a "hick." A hick in Emmett means "cowboy wanna be." That, I am not. The teachers there had the brass to tell me that I was only taught how to farm. In my hometown, I took summer school and learned how to fill applications, write resumes, and look for college. It was the same exact class that Borah was trying to make me take again when they told me I was a farmer.
When I worked a pizza place, my co-workers asked me what kind of animals I raised. When I told them kittens and puppies, they laughed. I don't believe they were expecting that answer.
I think my parents were raised around cattle and things like that. I don't know anything about it. The trailer court we lived in was surrounded with cows. I do not know anything about cows, I merely trespassed on the property to climb trees in the "willows". I was little and didn't know better.
The plants I had all died. Well, one survived for a long time until my cat ate it. For a while, my closet green thumb was dieing to come out. I grew my first garden last year. I am pretty good at it with a little bit of help. I bought a ton of plants. I purchased some berry bushes. I have strawberry, raspberry, and blueberry.
I am having a little bit of an issue with the blueberries. The berries did not grow last year, but this year the raspberries and strawberries are. I'm trying to learn more about blueberries. I bought some holly plant food. I saw some flowers on the blueberry bushes but they fell off. I don't know if they are supposed to do that. I'm beginning to feel disappointed because I love blueberries and want some of my own.

I also have become obsessed with chickens. I watched this show on PBS about chickens and it was the most interesting show. I was holding chicks over at D&B and I think they are sweet little creatures. I cuddled and pet the chicken as it closed it's eyes in bliss. I really need some. I think it would be cool to have an animal that can provide me with free range eggs and some meat. Frank can't do that and no I will not eat my dog. Dino hasn't laid any eggs and I don't know if I would eat my turtle.
I guess I am turning into that farmer person that people assumed I was. I have a garden growing again this year. I don't want animals to annoy my neighbors, although I know a rooster will.

3 comments:

  1. Chickens eat BUGS! You go, girl!
    Love, Auntie R

    ReplyDelete
  2. get some overalls and a straw hat

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya see? Bug problems are resolved. Maybe if I got an aggressive chicken, it would chase the cats.
    I had some overalls once, I don't know what I did with them.

    ReplyDelete