Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Memory is the first to go...

So, at the beginning of the month, I was in the ER. I guessed it was salmonella because of Dino. I presumed correctly.
I had since been more careful and his tank gets cleaned outside. I have been too leery to touch my pet. Not very many people know that they carry salmonella. You can get it from reptiles, chicken, and oscars. Also you can get it from unpasteurized dairy products.
About a week after the incident, I get a call from southwest health department. She asked me questions to make sure if it was the turtle or something that I ate. I let her know about the turtle.
Today, I get a call from her again. I am feeling a little irritated because she was still calling. I didn't understand why. My thinking was put to good use again. Maybe I should become a doctor...nah it's not me. I now believe that I can be pretty bright. I can put two and two together, damnit.
I asked her if it was on record that I had a pet. She said yes. But, it was not a strain from a reptile. It was from food. She proceeded to ask me if I could find any receipts or if I could remember where I have been before I got sick. I got to thinking, she is pretty persistent about the receipts and trying to remember what happened. You do realize that I am well trained on targeted and focused questions to cut to the chase. The tone of her voice told me plenty as well and I felt kind of bad.
So, I asked her, "Are there more people with salmonella?" It would be a little strange since I was told by the doctor salmonella is quite rare. Apparently not. She told me that there is pretty much a salmonella outbreak. I told her about my transition and finding information and remembering everything is going to be very difficult.
So, probably for the next couple days I am going to be doing some research. My receipts are a dime a dozen and are in random places. I freaked out and got lazy between jobs. Everything is still being picked up right now.
We were thinking maybe the chicken from Walmart, but we got the chicken days after. Tried to think of all the different places that we went to the day before work. I even thought about another location days before that.
I do feel a little more relieved that it was something that wasn't really my fault. I do know now that I really do not want to eat out anymore due to careless people. A company could have killed me. A company almost mutilated my life beyond recognition. It is hard to find a follow up that is open after 7pm and open on Saturday. I could have lost my job if I had taken some time off to see a doctor. Call centers do not take doctors notices. I would have not been able to afford the ER visit.
I am taking it like a champion. I am a tough person and I can take on a really great fight. When I find out who did it, I am going to sue them. I will not hesitate. There were so many things at stake and people need to be taught a lesson on how to be more careful. I am sick of irresponsible people out there who have a job and get to keep it while those who put up with their crap have to fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment