Friday, February 27, 2009

I'm Just A Nerd


My job hired me because of my navigational skills. I went to the website and found where to apply and here I am. I am aware of all of these random websites. My boyfriend was like, "Do you just go online and look for this stuff?" No, I just see it.
When I look at like say, msn.com, I glance at everything on the page. I can say, "Oh, the president gets his dog in April. " Or I notice a murder or maybe an ancient relic that was found. It's stuff that strikes my interest. Things that I find quirky. It's what I do. I write, I look for ideas and clues. I research a ton of different things therefore my eyes are peeled for the needle in the haystack.
Not to mention that I have been online since I moved to Boise here in 1995. My boyfriend at the time, was a hacker. I know all kinds of tricks. Do I do them? No, I think it is mean to fry some one's hard earned piece of equipment. It's wrong. I would hate it if someone did it to me.
I would hear him and his nerd buddy talk about viruses that they would make. They had viruses that were already known about and had weapons to fight back and send the virus back to whoever sent it. He once even found a way to get a free keyboard. He used the serial number and called the company. They sent a new one and didn't ask for the defective piece of equipment. I just hope by now they are asking for things back. His nerd buddy worked for Micron and that company always threw stuff away and they would always salvage whatever was in the dumpster. This was ions ago.
I have more profiles than anyone would care to know about. I know all kinds of different websites. I am on myspace because of Liz. I am on mocospace because of Paul. Frank has a couple of websites one for 24 hour pet watch and mydogspace I found because I couldn't find petcentric.
I started out with this bbs board called Idaho Interactive. This was back in the day when Internet hogged the phone line. You paid by the minute for the Internet thing. Back in this stage of my life, Andrew also played Warcraft. It was cheesy back then with old school graphics. They didn't care. There were funny sounds effects and they blew stuff up. Then I got into the games and started to play Meridian 59. That game sucked up years of my life.
I also got into ICQ. I was also introduced to Yahoo right after. Then as time went by, other land lines were added to the house. Everyone would be online in the whole house. Eventually I was in the world of Diablo. I got into this place called egroups before Yahoo took them over and now Yahoo has groups that is full of bots.
Later I would have my own computer. I had dial up. I have two email addresses through Yahoo. Weirdos were sending perverted messages to my Nefertiti profile. I tried to delete that and could not.
There are many things that either forgot about me or I tried to delete. ICQ had lost my profile. I tried to delete myyearbook but all of a sudden I had secret admirers.
I upgraded to my own laptop. After years of hand me down desktops I got something of my own. I like my computer. The keyboard feels great and sounds cool. It is small. It can do many things that I need it to. The bad thing about it, some parts are popping out and it will reset when I tell it to shut down.
When I got my laptop, I discovered what wireless was. There is a built in wireless detection thing. It was really great. All I have to do is turn on my computer and I don't have to have it make a phone call.
By now, I have hundreds of things that I do online. For my job I have about 4 different websites I can log into at home. I have a few personal profiles that are my social networks. Online I read the news and even get to play an activist. I don't use Yahoo as much as I used to. I pay bills online and manage my accounts to find out how I can make my experience better and more affordable. I shop online and get recipes. I have 2 blogs and 2 sites I submit writing to. I have places where I watch videos and post videos. I recently joined twitter so I can stalk others while they stalk me.
I even go to random websites like stupid.com or I still visit that creepy website. I referred my mom to this site before. It's Simeons cave of wonders and there is this card trick where it ALWAYS knows which card you choose. Check it out http://www.simeonmagic.com/
Well, I gotta go. Have things to do. My room is also stinky because Frank just farted. I also just noticed that President Obama is talking about the war in Iraq right now.

2 comments:

  1. you should try www.stumbleupon.com it is freaking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it before and it kind of drove me batty.

    ReplyDelete