Monday, November 30, 2009

Once Upon A Time...


In a town called Emmett, it used to snow hard. We were knee deep in snow. Then one day, people who thought there was opportunity in Idaho started to move in. Then all these houses were built and traffic got high. The sky became more polluted and we are lucky when we see snow. We are lucky if snow stays for about a week.
I have met all kinds of people. I remember when I worked at Boise West, a lady and her little boy were fascinated with the snow. I asked them what was so incredible about it. They were from Arizona and never have seen snow before. I learned something about Arizona. It made me wonder if they were confused by the song Let It Snow whenever they heard it.
People often ask me if it snows up here. Well, yes, if you are further north in Idaho. Snow these days will melt within the same day that it fell. Paul is from Minnesota and he is always talking about how much snow is over there. There is something that he doesn't understand. It used to be that way here to.
Back when I was a kid, snow stuck around for what seemed like an eternity. I used to sled down a hill in front of the house. Dad would shovel the snow from the drive way and pile it all onto the front yard. I had this cool sled that was a blue sheet of plastic that rolled up. This sled was super slick. I would slide so fast down the hill. At one point we made some kind of a snow wall that was beside the hill. It was fun. I would slide down the hill and up the side of the wall. That didn't last long. Mom made that stop because the wall went into the road.
I also went over to Butte View and played on the playground. They used to have this hug slide that went up a hill. A bunch of kids and I would go there and sled down the hill. I lost interest because too many kids were going and it was nothing but sand at one point.
Snow was fun for school. During recess the kids would make snow angels. They also would roll snow into these gigantic snow balls. I sometimes would make a snow fort without the walls.
I used to love snow. Then I learned how to drive. I can drive in the snow. I am just more worried about the moron in front of me. It never fails when the first snow flake falls. Some idiot that has never driven in it before, gets into an accident. When driving in snow, don't hit the breaks so freaking much.
I used to work in the snow as well. I worked at two different car washes in about three winter seasons. You would think they are seasonal. They are open year round. When you drive in snow, you get this greasy mess on your car. Idaho puts this ice melt crap on the road that eats your rims and puts a mess all over your car. It's disgusting. So, the car wash is open. It was dead during these days. We would spend the day scrubbing the walls or shoveling the lot. Working there caused a great deal of damage to my skin on my face. I have sun damage from the summer and wind damage from the winter.
The days of snow slowly faded away. I hardly noticed it. There was a day when mom and I were out and about. It was on a day when it was supposed to be snowing. We pondered on if it was going to snow ever again. Not too long after there had been some good snow days. I still don't see as much snow as I used to. Who knows? We might get lucky here. It has been snowing at random. It snowed once in October and in November. This might be a pretty good winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment