Sunday, December 20, 2009

My Grandma Berglund

I think I may have been an awful grandchild. I don't think I made very much contact with my grandmother since I was 23. I have visited her, but only when I was visiting mom and when mom wanted to visit her. I really don't feel like talking about that. I don't want to talk about the fact that another grandparent of mine passed away during the holiday season. When I am going to die, I'm going to make darn sure it isn't around Christmas.
My Grandma Berglund was a stubborn old woman. I would have sworn that she would have lived to 100. If she didn't out live us all.
I remember going to her house to hide a few times. There was an empty lot beside her house in the trailer court. Us kids would play in there without the worry of getting some disease from all the mosquitoes. I remember she had this fruit dehydrator sitting on the back patio. My favorite thing to do there was peel the skin off of the tree and sleep in the hammock.
There was always some form kind of sewing project. I would be measured from head to toe for some outfit. She even made me a quilt. I still have it. The sides are worn and strips of material are hanging off, it's still good.
She took me to my first concert. We went to see Dolly Parton. I got the program for that somewhere still. She loved Dolly. Who wouldn't? Dolly Parton is freaking cool. I think grandma was the first person I ever heard whistling dixie. Probably the only one, I can't think of anyone else.
Grandma got me addicted to Chinese food. She used to work at the school cafeteria. I guess I always had to be on my best behavior during lunch. Even though my last name was always being spelled wrong. I think we would have International food days and one of the days was Chinese. I never had an egg roll, now I love them. I think I like food in general because of her. My favorite food on the holidays was always at her house. My favorite food was the Flinstone dip and the stuffed mushrooms. I'm game for everything...except for tamales.
I remember the games I would play at her house. She had one of those little people barns that I always plays with. My favorite Sesame street book was There Is a Monster At The End of This Book. The toys were located in the closet in the hallway.
She always had a cat. I think she always needed a Siamese cat. I never knew a cat left "gifts" on a doorstep until she lived in the country.
I don't really have any stories to tell about grandma. I know she was always doing something for me. I thought she was spectacular. Grandma Berglund, I love you and I will miss you very much.

3 comments:

  1. You have great stories, I just read one.
    Luv
    Uncle Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is awesome, we all have special memories of your grandma. love auntie Carla

    ReplyDelete